There’s A Storm Coming
Matthew 16:1-3 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven. He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red. And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
Intro: For the last several weeks, our news headlines have been non-stop coverage of unprecedented storms. First, there was Hurricane Harvey in Texas and Louisiana. Record rainfall, flooding and billions of dollars in damage. Now, as we are here this morning, Florida is being assaulted with Hurricane Irma, one of the worst hurricanes to ever hit our nation’s shores. Our prayers are with them, and our thoughts are on the impending damage and possible loss of life.
I. The Reality of the Coming Storm
One thing is certain. This coming storm is not a figment of man’s imagination.
One of the most amazing elements of these hurricane forecasts and the preparation is how many people do not listen to the mandatory evacuations.
There is always an unhealthy amount of skeptism and general ignoring of the forecasts.
There is always a hope and a belief that the storm will change its course and affect someone else.
NEWSFLASH: The coming storm is imminent, and it is severe.
- II Peter 3:3-7 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation, For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
II. The Results of the Coming Storm
One of the most fascinating things about these hurricanes and the storm coverage is listening to the experts make predictions about the damage.
- They have predicted the amount of rain.
- They have predicted the level of storm surge.
- They have predicted the MPH of the wind.
- They have been doing formulas to predict the exact path of the storm.
People know something is going to happen, but they don’t know exactly what.
This coming storm – the storm of the judgment of God has some certain predictions.
The results are definite:
A. There will be Destruction
- I Thessalonians 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
B. There will be Death
Death is appointed to all men.
There are no exceptions!
Young and old.
Rich and poor.
Good and bad.
Moral and immoral.
- Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death…
- Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
III. The Rescue from the Coming Storm
One of the most powerful moments in the past few days is the many press conferences where the Governor, the mayors and the authorities have urged the population to evacuate.
They have set up shelters.
They have mapped out evacuation routes.
They have warned and begged people to make “wise choices”.
They have stressed that it will be too late if people procrastinate.
There are some that have decided to “hunker down” and ignore the warnings.
ILLUSTRATION: In Genesis 6:5-7
- 5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
- 6 ¶ And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
- 7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Some may ask – How could God destroy everyone with a world-wide flood?
My question is – how could He be so angry and grieved at them, and wait 120 years to do it??
Fact 1 – God is a God of judgment and He is angry with the wicked every day!
Fact 2 – God is a merciful and longsuffering God that provides an evacuation route for those in the path of the storm!!
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Conclusion: There is the possibility of taking advantage of God’s mercy. There is the danger of laughing at the coming storm and realizing it is too late to be saved.
- Proverbs 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
- 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
- 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
- 27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
- 28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: