Don’t Lose It!
II John 8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
Intro: Ever feel like you’re losing it?
A. The Responsibility – “Look to yourselves…”
B. The Retaining – “that we lose not those things which we have wrought…”
Definition of LOSE: to destroy; to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin; render useless; to kill; to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
C. The Reward – “…but that we receive a full reward.”
Don’t Lose It!…
I. Your Influence
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
II. Your Identity
- John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
- II Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- 10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
- 11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
- 12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
III. Your Indignation
- II Corinthians 7:11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.
IV. Your Interest
It is easy to lose desire and interest after being saved for a period of time. Don’t lose that hunger for God!
- Psalms 42:1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
V. Your Instruction
- Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.