Will It Do When You’re Dying?
Intro: We are familiar with the phrase “deathbed confession”.
Many times right before a prisoner is executed or dies in prison, they will confess to crimes that they have been dogmatically denying.
There’s something about a person that wants to get right just before they die.
The time for pretense is over.
The time for false images is past.
The time for getting honest and facing reality becomes inevitable.
There were several Bible characters that revealed a lot of insight while on their deathbed.
Joshua – A Confession of Commitment to the Father
- Joshua 23:14 And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof.
- 14 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
- 15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
- 29 And it came to pass after these things, that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being an hundred and ten years old.
David – A Confession of Concern for his Family
1 Kings 2
- 2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man;
- 3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
- 4 That the LORD may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.
- 10 So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.
Paul – A Confession of Confidence in his Finish
II Timothy 4
- 6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
- 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
- 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Will It Do When You’re Dying?
I. Will Your Possessions Do (when you’re dying?)
- 19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
- 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
- 21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
- 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
- 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
- 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
- 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
- 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
- 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
- 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
- 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
- 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
- 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
- 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
- 23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
II. Will Your Pride Do (when you’re dying?) Herod
- 21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.
- 22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
- 23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
III. Will Your Plans Do (when you’re dying?) Judas Iscariot
Matthew 26: 14-16
- 14 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests,
- 15 And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.
- 16 And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.
SEE Acts 1:16-18