The Ultimate Verse
Intro: There are 31,102 verses in the King James Bible. 2 Timothy 3:16 says “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” Every verse in the Bible is inspired. Every verse is profitable. Every verse is truth. However, there are verses in the Bible that seem to pack a punch that has survived centuries of preaching and explaining. John 3:16 has enough doctrine and truth and revelation in it to save the world 10 times over. Let’s examine the context of this powerful verse – a verse that I call THE ULTIMATE VERSE.
- The person doing the speaking is Jesus Christ. This statement is THE WORD speaking THE WORD.
This would be inspired scripture if Paul or Peter or John had written this, but this was the words of Jesus Christ
Jesus is speaking of himself in the second person.
- The person he was speaking to was a Pharisee, a ruler of the Jews, and He didn’t understand any of this.
Nicodemus was full of questions; two in verse 4, and another in verse 9. He had no comprehension of what Jesus was saying.
- The Ultimate Declaration – “For God so loved the world…”
I call this the “ultimate declaration” for two reasons:
- Look at who is doing the loving
The One doing the love here; the One showing affection; the One declaring love is the Creator of the universe.
When you realize just how big He is, and just how much capacity He has to love, you begin to understand just how overwhelming it is at the sheer volume of love that is being declared here.
A baby loves it’s mother. A mother loves her baby. She can love her husband. But our love has limitations.
An infinite God with infinite capacities has a love that unlimited.
God doesn’t just HAVE love; the Bible says that GOD IS LOVE.
- 1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
- 1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
Imagine how much love is being described here; An omnipresent God that His very essence is LOVE.
- Look at who is being loved
Looking at the awesomeness of God’s love is overwhelming.
But if you look at the awfulness of God’s creation, that is also overwhelming.
When you recognize how far mankind has fallen and the depths of depravity that His creation has fallen, it’s unreal.
How a THRICE HOLY GOD could love such wicked, depraved, ungrateful, unholy, blasphemous people is beyond me.
- Rom. 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
- 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
- 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
- 13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
- 14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
- 15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:
- 16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:
- 17 And the way of peace have they not known:
- 18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.
That is why I call it the ULTIMATE DECLARATION!
- The Ultimate Demonstration – “that He gave His only begotten Son…”
We’ve all received really nice gifts in our life. We’ve also given what we felt were really nice gifts.
We’ve all been in a position where we were overwhelmed with the gift that we received; we’ve felt unworthy.
The gift that God gave was the Ultimate Demonstration of love and affection.
He didn’t give a THING, He gave A PERSON.
It wasn’t just a person, it was His son.
It wasn’t just His Son, it was HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON.
If I were to give a son, I have two more.
But He gave HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON.
He sent His only Son to be born and live on this earth for 33 ½ years.
It would have been one thing to send His Son down as a full grown adult to be offered as the Perfect Sacrifice, but He sent His Son to be born, and live, and suffer, and be tempted, and abused, and mistreated AND THEN BE KILLED.
That is why I call it the ULTIMATE DEMONSTRATION.
- Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
III. The Ultimate Decision – “that whosoever believeth in Him…”
When you stop to think of how many decisions a person makes in their life, it is astounding.
Not even counting the years as a child, but looking at the thousands of decisions we make in our lifetime…
Our first car, our girlfriend, college, classes, wife, jobs, houses, vacations, kids, our kids’ girlfriends…
But no decision we will ever make will come close to the ULTIMATE DECISION we will make concerning Jesus…
- Pilate asked the mob in Matthew 27:22 “…What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?”
I’m not a salesman. I don’t have a sales pitch. I’ve sat through sales’ pitches that make a statue squirm.
This is far more than a sales pitch. This is THE ULTIMATE DECISION.
This decision is simply – WILL YOU BELIEVE?
Will you put your faith in the One that was sent; given by God to take your sin punishment on the cross?
- The Ultimate Deliverance – “should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
We’ve all be challenged and motivated by ultimatums.
If you’ll do your homework, you won’t get a demerit.
If you’ll come into work, you won’t get fired.
If you’ll pay your rent, you won’t get evicted.
If you’ll make your car payment, it won’t get repossessed.
But this – this far exceeds getting a demerit, or keeping you job.
Jesus said (and I’m paraphrasing), If you’ll believe in me, you won’t spend eternity in hell.
Furthermore, if you believe in me, I’ll throw in a bonus incentive: you’ll have everlasting life.
That is why I call that the ULTIMATE DELIVERANCE.
See, we have to remember; we were headed to Hell anyway – SEE JOHN 3:18
We were born sinners, and hell bound with the hammer down.
Because of our sinful condition, we were condemned to Hell.