Watch this message here:
Shaping the Next Generation Sermon Series
Intro: Joshua 4 is all about one simple thing – shaping the next generation.
I. The Labor that was Involved – vs. 5
They had to collect 12 stones and carry them into the middle of the Jordan River.
They set up these stones IN THE MIDST OF THE JORDAN – vs. 9
After everyone passed through (a lot of people!!), they took 12 stones out of the river, and set up another memorial on dry land in Gilgal.
A. The Preparation – vs. 4
Joshua had picked out 12 men.
Took some planning; some preparation.
Not a spasmodic, last minute idea.
Notice the process:
- God CONCOCTED this memorial.
- The man of God, Joshua COMMUNICATED this memorial.
- The men CARRIED it out.
B. The Pain – vs. 5 …a stone upon his shoulder
It was a lot of work; a lot of effort; a lot of commitment; a lot of discomfort to carry those stones.
C. The Pitching – vs. 20 they didn’t just throw them down; it took planning and precision.
PITCH: to raise, set up, erect, build
II. The Legacy that was Initiated –
A. Notice the Fathers – vs. 21 The father is to be the spiritual leader in the home.
There is a shortage of men.
Notice verse 2; 4 GOD NEEDS A MAN!
B. Notice the Future – vs. 21 …in time to come… God wanted them to think long-term.
- Deuteronomy 4:9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons; LOOK AT VERSE 10)
- Deuteronomy 6:2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son’s son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.
C. Notice the Familiarity – vs. 22 Then ye shall let your children know…
- Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
III. The Life that was Instructed – vs. 24 “…that ye might fear the LORD your God for ever.”
A. Notice the Personal Reference – vs. 23 …twice he said “For the Lord YOUR God…”
It is absolutely critical that OUR God becomes the God
B. Notice the Pattern Remembered – vs. 23 God did it twice.
This is absolutely essential!
- Judges 2:10 And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.
C. Notice the Propagation Required – that all the people of the earth might know the hand of the Lord.