A Walk Down Memory Lane
I Thess. 2:1-20
The Apostle Paul remembered…
I. His Experiences – vs. 1, 2
- 1 For yourselves, brethren, know our entrance in unto you, that it was not in vain:
- 2 But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention.
Paul remembered the shame and mistreatment that that they had encountered in Philippi.
He no doubt still had the wounds on his back from the beatings.
But when they came to Thessalonica, they came with a fresh vision and with an unhindered boldness to preach.
They didn’t let bad experiences in their past formulate their opinion of this city and this new ministry opportunity.
They faced much contention, but they didn’t hold back and they didn’t back down.
They looked back and recognized that their entrance was not in vain because they didn’t let their past hurts keep them from doing what God had called them to do.
II. His Exhortation – vs. 3-9
NOTE: Twice Paul mentioned that he preached “the gospel of God”. – vs. 8, 9
A. His Preaching was Pure – vs. 3, 5, 6 …not of deceit, nor of uncleanliness, nor in guile,
- 3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:
B. His Preaching was Pleasing to God – vs. 4 …not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
- 4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
- 5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness:
- 6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.
C. His Preaching was Passionate – vs. 7, 8 …so being affectionately desirous of you…ye were dear to us…
- 7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:
- 8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.
D. His Preaching was Persistent – vs. 9 …labour and travail, for laboring night and day…
- 9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God.
E. His Preaching was Practiced – vs. 10 how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you
- 10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:
- 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
- 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
III His Excitement – vs. 13-20
A. He was Excited about their Faith– vs. 13
- 13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
B. He was Excited about their Following – vs. 14 … For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God
- 14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:
- 15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:
- 16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.
- 17 But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire.
- 18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.
C. He was Excited about their Future – vs. 19-20
- 19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
- 20 For ye are our glory and joy.